Monday, 20 October 2014

The Little Red Book

I was in Asda looking for something when my eyes fell on a little red book. It was wrapped in cellophane with a strip of black card that said - George £3. Medium Free Writer. For Notes, Research and Inspirations.

There is something about a blank page. I had a burst of thought in which a whole conversation came to mind at once - Can't see inside to look at the ruled lines of emptiness waiting to be filled. -  I haven't written a short story for ages. It's Halloween soon, can I conjure up something?

It then leapt into my basket, almost on its own. I then spent two dates looking at it trying to find the time to actually write in it. At the same time I noticed another notebook in the drawer, which I hadn't opened either. That one I bought to write and ebook.

Whilst browsing the shelves of Amazon, I came across a book that was called How to Write a Book in 7 - 14 days That Will Make You Money - by Darren Stock.

It wasn't a very big book, 20,000 words maybe. He made it sound easy, and his book was probably a product of it of what he was writing about.  I knew it probably wasn't easy, but it involved brainstorming titles and sub titles. Either way, it sounded like fun and I wanted to give it a try, but four weeks later, it still lies in the drawer untouched and unopened.

I needed to find extra time from somewhere. (You can find out where from here)

Anyway, skipping ahead, I finished the novel - which, incidentally was a cracking read. (Steve Mosby, The Black Flowers) and it made me want to write a novel again too. I then decided that instead of going back to rewrite and finish a previous novel set in the medieval times, I'd go back and write the second draft of my 70s novel. When I originally finished it, I intended to leave it in the drawer for a couple of months before doing the final draft. That was four months ago.

So there I was at our caravan with this new time (see above) and I finally opened the little red book, courtesy of George. I was immediately disappointed as I saw blank pages as opposed to the ruled pages I thought I was buying.

I prefer lined pages, in fact I remember being at infant school and the teacher told me children write on ruled lines and when I grow up I will write on blank pages.

I never did. I just fell that an artist or illustrator uses blank pages to draw on. Lines are for words.

So my new book of musing and stories was not what I thought, but having said that, I started writing and it didn't impede me at all.

During the course of the overnight stay, to close down the caravan, I wrote 26 pages, my pen on fire.

Several musings and one short story. I love my little red book!

No comments:

Post a Comment