Wednesday, 20 May 2015

Disastrous Round Robin

Last year I was involved in an ill fated Round Robin. This is where a group of cross stitchers get together, choose a theme, and stitch one square. They then pass it (post it)  to the next person to stitch and ventually it arrives back with the owner.

My chosen subject was dogs, particularly because I have a Yorkie and had seen a lovely pattern I wanted to stitch. So I chose some other dogs I liked to go with it and stitched all the squares which matched the number of people who were in the group.



I stitched four over four months and passed them on to the next person to stitch on.






All was going well until I stopped receiving them. Gradually everybody was asking the same question. Weeks passed and we worried. Then, two of the girls went back through messages and eventually found someone in London had all five of them. She had stopped communicating, stopped stitching and didn't post. We tried several times to get hold of her, all to know avail.

We were scattered around the country and one of the stitchers was in the States, and luckily, she was able to stop hers being sent to this girl.

Eventually, I spoke to a good friend who lives in the capital and he said he would help out. So I wrote  a registered letter telling her that someone would call round at a specific time and date to collect them.

We waited and he successfully picked them up and I then had to wait until he came back to Manchester where I live. Three weeks later I went round to his house and took him a bottle of wine for his trouble. There was also the cost of the registered letter, and stamps for posting them back to their back to the owners. So it was proving rather costly.

I opened the packet to look at the stitching and mine wasn't there. My Yorkie had disappeared. When queried, the girl said she posted it, but it was never received by the next stitcher. I had to accept that it was gone for ever.

The person who had organised the Round Robin asked me to post them all to her and she would distribute them, which made things easier. She also said that she would arrange to have my Round Robin stitched again. Three other girls volunteered and so I chose my Yorkie and three other dogs and supplied the fabric. I wasn't going to stitch the squares again. They would kindly use the threads from their stashes for the actual stitching.

I was so happy that they would do this for me, and looked forward to receiving it back.

Weeks turned into months and nothing arrived. I began to get that lump in my throat again. After everything that had gone on, I felt like I had been forgotten.

I didn't know who had my stitching and posted in a stitching group to see where it was. It turned out the girl who organised it, had lost her stitching mojo and hadn't stitched and not passed it on. I began to wonder whether I would ever see this again.

The other three girls all agreed that they still wanted to stitch, so she posted it off and it landed with a lady called Amy, who was seemed really excited to receive it. She was so pleased, she asked if I would mind if she stitched all four of them! I was thrilled that someone was actually taking an interest in me and my stitching.

We continued to correspond through Facebook, as she gave me updates of her progress, but I wasn't allowed to see it until it had finished. I said she was like a surrogate mother and could she bear to do all the work and then post it off. Amy seemed to laugh, as much as you can on message, and said, of course, it belongs to you.

So over 12 months later, in May 2015, the package came through my door.

The colours are amazing and I loved the paw prints she added, too. I sent her the photo of me below, hoping she could see my huge smile.  I did wonder about making a cushion with it, but on seeing it, I feel a frame would do it justice and then it can be viewed frequently by everyone.

So thank you Amy Broadhurst.






2 comments:

  1. This is a delightful tale to restore my faith in one corner of humanity. How wonderful that Amy came through! You must post again with the final framed version of the cross stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anesa. I will post an update when it is framed. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

      Delete